Still floating high about selling Returning My Sister's Face to Norilana. Thanks for the deluge of congrats!
Things I've done this week:
• Sold my flash story "The Wiggly People" (audio reprint) to Drabblecast.
• Seen part 1 of my article, "Writing Multicultural Fiction for Children," reprinted at Absolute Write.
• Decided that I will try out the new flexible work hours being implemented at work. Starting next week, I'm going 4x10 (10-hour days, 4-day weeks). I used to work 9x80 at my previous job (three-day weekend every other week), which was nice, but I'm wondering if a 10-hour workday might be a bit long.
• Received, signed, and sent back contracts from Norilana, the Triangulation: Taking Flight anthology, and Drabblecast and looked over galleys from the Killers anthology and Baen's Universe.
• Broke then fixed the Daily Dragon website, giving myself a crash course in PHPMyAdmin in the process.
• Added 1 GB of RAM to my VAIO laptop, upgrading it from its original 512 MB to 1.5 GB. Very stressful, and in the end, I needed fosteronfilm to seat it properly for me; I don't get along well with hardware. But my laptop is speedy-fast now...although the hibernation function keeps going wonky.
• Joined Facebook (friend me if you've got an account!).
I adore my current 4x10 work week. I don't find the days too long, although I don't get a lot done of those weeknights anymore. But with a 3-day weekend every weekend, I sometimes completely forget about the day job, which never seemed to happen with a 5x8 work week.
Plus it's great for going to conventions.
Congrats on recent sales/publications!
4x10 absolutely rocks! Funny thing, I could've always chosen to stay longer to get more stuff done at work, like if I'd hit flow on a WiP come quitting time, but it seemed wrong somehow. So I'd always pack up and leave at the stroke of workday's end, even if I knew that I was in the writing zone and it'd be hard to reestablish that if I stopped. But I'm almost (almost) appreciating more the longer workday mandated by these hours than the extra day off.
I said it before and I will say it again. Congratulations on the sale. Go ahead and enjoy your walk in the clouds!
A schedule of 4x10 sounds more difficult than the every other Friday off schedule [5 on, 2 off, 4 on , 3 off]. But, knowing you, I predict this new schedule will increase your writing output. Though, you will be a bit sleepier.
Thank you, thank you!
I'm totally loving 4x10! I might be down a bit on sleep, but I'm not feeling it (and I've been running on decreased sleep fueled by insomnia for a while now, so I might be used to it--ah, the glory of a doctor-mandated regimen of prescription uppers).