I'm wondering now if he ate a sliver of dark chocolate. I had a couple pieces of dark chocolate yesterday morning, and when I was breaking the squares off the bar, a crumb or two fell on the floor. I wiped them up with a damp paper towel, but Hobkin was at my feet when it happened, and he might've snarfed up a tiny sliver--and I do mean tiny, as in much, much less than chocolate frosting on a birthday candle or a single semi-sweet chocolate chip. But it's dark chocolate, which is much more toxic to little beasties than milk chocolate or cocoa powder.
Fortunately, after a lot of Pepto-Bismol on bread, Hobkin seems to be over whatever it was.
I, however, remain guilt-stricken.
- 800 or so on my next Writing for Young Readers column, several editing passes, and sent it off to ye olde editor. Anuzzer hamster out the door.