It's been so uppy-downy-and-generally-slammed this last while that it feels like I haven't had the time or energy for more than tweet-sized posts. Finally managed to clear some stuff off my plate (although my @#^!& plate still way overfloweth), so herein a catch-up of recent good, bad, and meh:
• Had an appointment with my brand new rheumatologist yesterday. I remain royally displeased with the State of Georgia for forcing me to switch health care providers, as my previous rheumatologist was the best doctor I have ever had. But so far, I have no complaints about the new one, who is someone the previous one recommended when I told him I was having to change insurers. She seems both nice and competent, which is a remarkably difficult combination to come upon in doctors for some reason.
However, I'd been stable for so long under my previous rheumatologist's care that, as he put it, I'd "graduated" with him to only needing annual follow-ups. But this new one, because I'm a new patient with a slew of ailments, wants a follow-up in a month and then bimonthly visits after that. Sigh.
Also, since I haven't had any lab work done in four months (before I was having labs done bimonthly to ensure that the drug I'm taking to keep my immune system from rising up and declaring war upon the rest of my human suit isn't destroying my kidneys) and because I'm a new patient, she ordered a slew of bloodwork. TEN
vials worth. Glad her phlebotomist was skilled, quick, and gentle, but still...owitch.
• My car's check engine light came on last Friday. It was overdue for various tune-ups and maintenance thingums, so this was the final indicator of "can't put it off any longer." New spark plugs, new timing belts, a new motor mount clip, a fuel induction thingy, and we're down $1.5K. Because, of course, we weren't hurting enough financially this year. Ouch. A lot.
• The Atlanta Film Festival
with an all-access pass this year, great for not only seeing the films but also powwowing with the filmmakers—film festival networking and all. But, of course, I can't go with him, not having either an all-access pass or the time to do so (see below re: late running legislative session), with the result that I haven't and won't be seeing very much of him this week. Came home for the first time in eight years to an utterly empty house yesterday. Far too quiet and utterly depressing.
• Finished my narration of "Honored Guest" by Ellen Kushner for PodCastle
. Because the legislative session has run so late, my to-do list is scary-big, I'm behind on everything, and it was a last minute scramble to get this done in time. I would have liked to have done another editing pass on it, as I think my inflection and dynamic range in a few places could've used some fixing up, but I was already bumping up against the deadline.
It's a lovely story. I hope I did it justice.
• Resumed work on the short story "Rampion" that I began in February
. Obviously wasn't able to finish it then. Added about 2K words, and it's looking suspiciously like it may turn into a novelette.