And Ivan whirls ever closer. Or friend, Patrick, lives in New Orleans. Haven't heard from him about his evacuation plans. I hope he's not planning on trying to sit it out. His city is below sea level, for godsakes. I've emailed him to let him know that our home is open to him as a storm refuge. Anxiously waiting to hear back. I hope he's already left. I hope I hope I hope.
It's been quite a year for storms. (Am I wallowing in understatements or what?)
Heard from Nathan, my Scrybe Press editor, that the eBook of Ascendancy of Blood is #15 on the Fantasy bestsellers list at Fictionwise.com, ranking it above George R.R. Martin's A Storm of Swords. Oooo.
Got an email from the editor of the Carnifex Press Revenants anthology that they're holding my submission for the next round. Coolness. And, as a counterbalance, I received a 124-day reject from the Borderlands 6 anthology.
Also wrote my review of the three-part Sci-Fiction novella and sent it to my editor at Tangent.
And Andrew deems me a pro! My story "The Tanuki-Kettle" got bumped up the Critters queue to this week's offerings. Neato.
I didn't put any author's notes on it regarding what audience age I'd intended this for. Curious to see if people will notice and comment that it seems written for youngsters. After some consideration, I really do think it's more appropriate for Cricket rather than Cicada. I'm going to try to lop off a couple hundred words (oof), and bring it down to 3K, then send it to my Cricket editor and hope. The worst she could do is say "too long! No." Now the trick is to get it down to 3K . . .
i live in new orleans, and i'm staying at loyola to ride the storm out. my building has survived everything that's slammed it for the past 100 years, so i'm not worried.
right now, our only concerns are power outages and flooding. the storm is supposed to pick up around 1AM. the winds have already started to pick up. not really any rain yet.
my friend said something about 6-inch surges along the gulf around 4pm, before the storm even came. so, i don't know...but i'm not worried. i can't explain it. maybe it's the new orleanian in me, but unless ivan swings west at the last second i think we're going to be fine. we'll just see some heavy winds, rain, possible flooding.
i'm stocked up on food and i have 19 people with me. it'll be just fine. :)
i'm sure you'll hear from your friend soon. if it helps, phone providers have been going in and out, so maybe you'll just have to wait for more reliable service before he can tell you anything. if he evacuated, he might have gotten stuck somewhere or he might still be driving. it took my friend 8 hours to get to baton rouge- and it's normally 45 minutes away. it was INSANE.
Whew. Well I finally got an email from Patrick. He's holing up north, out of town at one of his friend's parent's houses which is above sea level. But I appreciate your reassurance. It sounds like Ivan isn't going to hit New Orleans straight on, at least.